A person can still be served while in prison. A spouse or parent of children may wish to serve the incarcerated person with:
- A petition for Divorce or Dissolution of marriage
- A petition for a Legal Separation
- A petition for Annulment
- A Paternity Action which would involve custody, visitation and support of children
- An Order to Show Cause to change an existing court order
- Is the person cooperative? If he/she is, then the service can be made by mail.
- If the person is not cooperative, the service papers need to be mailed to the specific department in the prison that handles ‘proof of service’ and this department will perform the service similar to that of a process server.