“Length: 00:59
Read more: Divorcing a Spouse in another Country

After a divorce is filed, the petition must be served on the respondent. This is mandatory.Without proper service, the divorce cannot continue or be finalized.

If your spouse resides in another country service can be more difficult. If the country is a Hague Convention country (most countries are) then service must be done in a particular way which can be time consuming and costly. If the country is not a Hague Convention Country, service can be easier.

However, if you do not know his/her exact address or if the spouse is not cooperative, then service can be more difficult.

The attorney will discuss your options when you wish to divorce a spouse who resides in another country.

Reader Interactions


  1. Carol Bartley says

    I married in Italy 28 years ago. There has been no contact in between us I’m all these years.
    I don’t know where he lives or even if maybe he has obtained a divorce.
    How can I proceed?

    • Brenda Platt-Drucker says

      Where do you live now? Did you live with him in California or did you only live in Italy? If you lived with him in CA, we can file a ‘publication divorce’ and you can get divorced that way. However, if you only lived in Italy then you will need to try to find him there as he will need to be served. If you wish to discuss, please call us @ 818-630-5503.
      Thank-you for contacting Legal Action Workshop!

  2. Patricia Ortiz says

    I was married in California. I been separated for almost 3yrs. My spouse got deported to Mexico 4 months ago and he is not planning to come back. I do know where he is staying at. We have three kids together. The are 23, 18, and 12. I just need more information how to file for a divorce.

    • Brenda Platt-Drucker says

      It’s complicated when your spouse lives in another country as you will be required to serve him in a special way. For Mexico, it needs to go through the court and the docs need to be translated into Spanish. We can help with this type of divorce as we do quite a few of these. If you wish to learn more about service in Mexico, please call us @ 818-630-5503.
      Thank-you for contacting Legal Action Workshop!

  3. Vic says

    Hi my fiancé need a divorce from other country and we need help to be done this thing can we get a shed for consultation regarding this matter thanks

    • Brenda Platt-Drucker says

      It can be very difficult to divorce someone in another country due to the fact that many countries are part of the ‘Hague Convention’. If the person is in a Hague Convention country then service is made through the court system which can take a very long time and can be very costly. Please call us @ 818-630-5503 to determine if the country in which the spouse needs to be served is part of the Hague Convention. If it is not, then service can be made in the normal way.
      Thank you for contacting Legal Action Workshop!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Waste Time & Money During the Divorce Process!

Enter your details below to download our FREE Step-by-Step Guide on California Divorce and learn how to save big!

Your Name...
Your Email...