Name-Change-CaliforniaThe process for an adult name change in California involves the filing of the petition, publication of the name change for 1 month and a court appearance. However, it is much simpler for a woman to change her name back to her birth name during the divorce process. If she is the petitioner, this can be done by checking the appropriate box on the divorce petition. Changing the name after marriage or after being divorced can be done by a form.

There are other reasons for an adult to change his or her name outside of marriage and divorce, and an Attorney should ask the reason. If there is a criminal record this will influence whether the court will allow it or not. Once the paperwork has been filed, a hearing date will be set. The publication of the name change must take place and be complete by the hearing date. The petitioner needs to go to the hearing with identification. Once the court approves the name change, the client is ready to contact the California Office of Vital Records for instructions as to how to change the birth certificate. Once changed, other items like Social Security Number, driver’s license, passport etc. can also be changed.

A name change for a minor requires the approval of both parents or the non-consenting parent must be served. If the whereabouts of the other parent is unknown, then a search for this parent must be performed. Once this portion is complete, a publication can be initiated.

The first step is to speak with the Attorney and file the appropriate paperwork. Then a publication is performed. The petitioner goes to court on the scheduled day. Once approved by the court, the petitioner would contact the California Office of Vital Records in order to change the birth certificate. Other agencies like Social Security Office can assist in updating information.

Watch Legal Action Workshop’s Video below about name changes in California.

Reader Interactions


  1. Marshall says

    Does your firm provide services for a name change? I am seeking legal help with this. The name change is based on preference, and is not related to divorce issues.

    • Brenda Platt-Drucker says

      Yes, we do help with name changes. The only reason that the court may not approve the name change is if you have a criminal record. Please call our offices @ 818-630-5503 to discuss. We offer phone consultations for convenience.
      Thank-you for contacting Legal Action Workshop–THE LAW FIRM THAT OFFERS LOW FLAT FEES!

  2. Gemma lamano says

    Does you office process for minor change of name? And Do you still need ti notify other parent even his name is not included in a birth certificate and there is no child support order or any other court orders, in other words other parent is not existing, although the child is carrying his last name. What do we do?

    • Brenda Platt-Drucker says

      Yes, we prepare a minor name change. The law requires that the biological father is notified. If you do not know where he is then we would do a search (based on the last know address) if it is in California. If the father is not found then you would need to go to court and explain this. It’s not absolute that the judge would approve the name change if the father is not found. In effect, we do not guarantee this. Some people in this situation wait until the child is an adult (18 years). There may be other options. If you wish to call us @ 818-630-5503 we can discuss your options.
      Thank-you for contacting Legal Action Workshop!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Waste Time & Money During the Divorce Process!

Enter your details below to download our FREE Step-by-Step Guide on California Divorce and learn how to save big!

Your Name...
Your Email...