It is important to be aware that Divorce is not handled in the same way in every state. Often when searching for information online, the facts displayed are not state-specific. Here are 5 surprising Divorce facts that pertain to California:
- Divorce takes a minimum of 6 months and one day from the date of service–it does not take less time under any circumstance–however, it could take longer!
- The parties do not need to be legally separated in order to file for Divorce.
- The parties do not have to be separated for a period of time in order to file i.e. there is no separation time period needed before one can file.
- Divorce can be finalized without a court appearance. This can occur when there are no issues and the respondent does not respond or when there is agreement on issues and a Marital Settlement Agreement or Stipulation has been filed.
- Neither party has to be represented by an Attorney in order to get divorced. California strongly supports the right of either party to represent themselves (in pro per) when filing paperwork or in the court.
Although California strongly supports the right of individuals to represent themselves in the Divorce process, it does not mean that this is advisable. Anyone who has gone to court themselves or tried to finalize their Divorce without the help of an experienced Attorney, can attest to the problems that typically occur. Many shy away from an Attorney because they fear the cost will be prohibitive. However, today there are legal alternatives to the ‘hourly/retainer’ fees that are typically charged i.e. Attorneys who offer more affordable flat fees for Divorce.
If you are thinking of Divorce, get the facts first so that you understand how the California courts work as well as your legal rights and options. Legal Action Workshop is ready to help for LOW FLAT FEES! For more information, call us @ 1-800-HELP-444 (1-800-435-7444) or visit our website www.LegalActionWorkshopLAW.com .